Recreation and leisure activities are ones which:
• Allow one to master new things
• Are freely chosen
• Are undertaken in free time
• Expose one to a variety of social, cultural intellectual or physical activities
• Make one feel good, fulfilled and satisfied
• Offer opportunities to meet people in the community
• Promote enjoyment, relaxation or satisfaction
• Provide opportunities to express creativity
Why is recreation and leisure important?
Recreation and Leisure:
• promote quality of life.
• increase self esteem and confidence
• provide opportunity to make their own choices
• It enables us to become involved and feel part of the community.
• It increases the opportunity to gain and develop new friendships.
• It allows us to be challenged, take risks and experience new things.
• It bridges the gap between attending and participating in the community.
• It allows people to contribute their skills and feel a sense of belonging and accomplishment.
• It promotes frienships through shared experiences.